Chris Winn: Ramblings From The Road

pedal.write.pedal.write.pedal.



21 April 2011

Air Force Academy RR.

Without jinxing myself the start to the 2011 USA season has perhaps been my best to date.  With some rule changes from the UCI, the local Colorado racing calendar has gotten very small of late, so last weekend I was thankful to be able to do my job and race a USAC sanctioned event.  The Air Force Academy RR is always a tough day out.  Held on the 86' Worlds course down at Colorado Springs, I don't think I've ever raced there without gale force winds or come across the line completely smashed.  Last Sunday was no different, and coming off a heavy training week, the legs were quite toasted which left me worried with a super strong stacked field (thanks to the rule above).  But, from the gun I was able to make the early break of 5 riders, and very quickly we established a gap, grovelling into the wind with all of us eager to work.  That would be the last time we saw the peloton, with no real organized chase our lead ballooned out quickly and that was it.  Those first few of the five 23km laps I was suffering big time, but by the last couple the lights were starting to turn back on and we were down to a select group of four riders left.  With some impressive riding, fellow Aussie Lachlan Morton was able to ride away for the win with Bissells Rob Britton second and I came home in third place.

Photos can be found here.

This week has been great to have some training partners in the form of V Australia team mates Nick and Johnnie Walker.  Super nice blokes and always up a laugh they have made the hours in the saddle roll by quickly this week.  Next stop is the Tour of the Gila, which believe it or not will be my fourth go around at this crazy New Mexico stage race!  Stay tuned....

No comments: