Chris Winn: Ramblings From The Road

pedal.write.pedal.write.pedal.



31 December 2011

POINT AND GLIDE.

Nestled between Christmas and New Years Eve, yesterday was Kat's birthday in which we headed up to the mountains to celebrate.  We hit the slopes (or flats, really) of Devils Thumb Ranch, an excellent patch of terra firma for skate skiing.  It was my first time and boy was it a challenge!  In much the same way as swimming, it really is a technique based activity, and teaching my brain new movement patterns was at times frustrating but in the end quite rewarding.  As a cyclist that rides practically everyday it's easy to forget just how conditioned the body has become in producing only one type of movement.  The skiing technique required a level of ankle stability and movement that was completely foreign for me at first, and even though I still had a long way to go by the time we finished, there was an improvement made.  I would say I upgraded from a red level hazard skier to a yellow level hazard!

Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Mark Hatherly said...

Hey Chris, is that a hug for Kat or a clutch for balance? I can't tell.

Give Kat our best wishes for her Birthday!

Chris Winn said...

Thanks Mark, hope you had a nice Christmas and New Years!

As for the photo....it was a little of both!

A fun activity if you ever get the chance to try it!