Chris Winn: Ramblings From The Road

pedal.write.pedal.write.pedal.



09 January 2011

Australian Road Championships.

After a couple of days at home it was time to take the old Western Hwy back up to Ballarat again for this time the big show, the National Road Race Championship.  Knowing fore well the form wasn't in the legs this early in the year, I was keen to try and help out the team as much as possible to try and get the title in the family.  Last time I had raced at Buninyong would have been close to three years ago (before my migration to the US!) and remember that day as a scorching hot suffer fest, so I was pleased to wake up on race morning to much cooler and overcast conditions.  From the gun the pace was solid, with a strong 7 man break getting off the front after the first lap and taking a maximum lead of around four minutes.  I battled around as best I could for as long as I could, until getting unhitched on the nasty main KOM climb thanks to the Sky guys doing the majority of the pace making to bring it back.

 Photo Credit: Alistair Wilson



All in all it was a great day out there, with plenty of spectators going crazy on the climbs and I must say it was really great to catch up with a host of people who I haven't seen for quite sometime.  I feel very lucky to have some great friends in the cycling community who are just as mad on this sport as I am!  Also a big thanks to friends and family who made the trek out to watch me race.

Following Tommy Nankervis who will back in the US again this year with the RealCyclist.com Professional Cycling Team.

No comments: