Chris Winn: Ramblings From The Road

pedal.write.pedal.write.pedal.



19 September 2011

Goulburn To Sydney


For a sneaky weekend trip, Sydney really turned it on. Great weather, a smooth flight and getting there super early on Saturday morning meant a chance for a nice water side breakfast and time to relax before the afternoons violent 3.7km prologue.



The prologue was one of those 'over before you know' it deals, and no matter what was never going to feel very good.  It didn't, and as soon as I crossed the line the thoughts were for the main 170km RR on Sunday.
I was really looking forward to having a good day out for the main Goulburn to Sydney RR, but sometimes the chips don't fall the way you want.  The day started out well with Tito slipping into the break and taking the pressure of the team.  With some light winds and a slightly downhill profile the first 100km seemed to breeze by, and all of a sudden we were at the key part of the race heading over the RazorBack climbs.  Coming into the first time up the hill I managed to drop my chain, and in the process of getting it back on twisted my front derailluer.  Not ideal.  After being that annoying guy going nowhere in a moving peloton I got going again but my bike sounded pretty much like a motorbike from the chain grinding away through the cage in all gears.  I made it over the first berg with the group, but coming off the descent and into the next climb I wasn't in great position and a small select group including J Walk broke away and stayed away until the finish.  I rolled in with the second group after trying to bring it back with Cammo for out main sprinter Scotty L.  For now it's two weeks back home before heading down to Taz for the last NRS stage race of the season!

No comments: